Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween and more....

I swear I don't prompt her to work for the camera. Cute though, eh? Striking a pose in front of the last of the fall color. Most of it went out in a blaze of glory and wind last week. Fall is a tragically short season. I wished I had taken more photos but there's always next year.
I can never take too many father/daughter shots of these two twinsies. Shawn still eggs me on every day into telling him she's his spitting image.
She may have his looks but the girl's got my style! Nova on her first "official" day of school.... FINALLY! Track suits are haute couture here. Shawn says teachers sport them on both formal and informal occasions. When Nova found this pink number she proudly proclaimed, "Now I am Japanese!" My favorite part is the back of her jacket which says "Have a juicy and spicy time with Kitty and friends." The yellow bundle is her "obento" or lunch box. Remember the Incredible Hulk and Rainbow Bright lunchboxes of the 80's? Here the character of choice is Anpan-man a cartoon hero with a giant hamburger-like bun for a head....'pan' being Japanese for bread.
A very traditional Japanese scene at the shrine just across the way from our home. I don't have any info on this great statue but I like that there is a bike in so many shots about town. Young and old pedal to get from point a to point b in Nisio and elsewhere. Just stay off the country roads which are very 'abunai ' or dangerous.
Nishiokoppe Elementary school's lunch room doubles as Shawn's English teaching room. Lunch time is a very organized and pleasant affair. Children help serve and clean-up afterward. I sampled the curry and rice on this day. Now I know why Shawn prefers to stay at school for lunch rather than come home. That's our favorite little guy Rruya flashing the peace sign.
This was the extent of our dressing up this year. There's no trick or treating in the village though we joked about what would happen if we knocked on people's doors in costume singing, "Trick or treat!". No doubt by the end of the night we'd have had our fill of shrimp flavored snacks.
Shawn did a great job with the Nishiokoppe Elementary Halloween party. The kids were very focused with their pumkin carving. You could have heard a pin drop. The man at the end of the table is the Kyoto-sensei, or vice principal. I liked that the older kids were so into helping the younger ones. Masataka (left) and his buddy giggle over their pumpkin.
All together now, "Watashi wa kumo ga kowai". One of my best articulated Japanese phrases.... "I am afraid of spiders".
Mummy-making game at the Kamiokoppe Elementary Halloween party.
Shawn helps ease Kentaro's hand into the pumpkin brains, (a slimy mess of spaghetti, olive oil, and food coloring) to fish for candy.
All 5 of Kamiokoppe's students and one conspicuous blonde guest pluck candy out of the witch's hat.